On knowledge sharing and dissemination

... when circulating a working paper for comments, never put on "citations only permitted with the permission of author"

or "no parts of this paper can be used without permission of author". Rather, say "when using parts of this paper please give proper citation and help yourself". Be delighted if someone wants to quote you ... (p.7)

Source: Glaser, B. G. (2006) The roots of grounded theory. The Grounded Theory Review, 5(2/3), 1-10.

Tuesday 22 March 2011

CTRL V

I am sure IT people will recognise this function immediately.

A real novice (where IT was concerned)  when I started with a consulting group working on a HRMIS project. The Project Manager however appreciated that gap. So being a faster "typist" he would sometimes typed while I dictated the documentation requirement off my head. Especially when 'due' was becoming "critically urgent".

Mostly, I was slowed down by the "Edit" function. To make changes, I would click on "Edit". For instance, to COPY and PASTE, I would click on EDIT, COPY, and PASTE.

I was watching him using the faster method. How did you do that ... I asked.

Easy ... he said. To COPY you just highlight the sentence, then press Ctrl C. To CUT, same but press Ctrl X

Okay, that's easy to remember ... I responded. Ctrl C for Control Copy. Ctrl X for Control Out - X for unwanted.

Then to PASTE must be Ctrl P ... I extrapolated cleverly ...

No, no, no ... he quickly denied my intelligent extrapolation.

To PASTE, you use Ctrl V ... he answered ... fingers meanwhile busy on the keyboard, mind on the completion of the report ... while teaching me the inconsequential at the same time ... multitasking of modern professional.

Ctrl V? ... I was puzzled ... why not Ctrl P for Control Paste? I was not happy with this anomaly.

Okay ... Ctrl V ... for ... CONTROL VUT (rhyme with Control Put) he answered.

Now, do you think, I will ever forget this lesson? ...

*HRMIS - Human Resource Management Information System

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...