On knowledge sharing and dissemination

... when circulating a working paper for comments, never put on "citations only permitted with the permission of author"

or "no parts of this paper can be used without permission of author". Rather, say "when using parts of this paper please give proper citation and help yourself". Be delighted if someone wants to quote you ... (p.7)

Source: Glaser, B. G. (2006) The roots of grounded theory. The Grounded Theory Review, 5(2/3), 1-10.

Wednesday 30 May 2018

The Search. Day 3

بسم الله الرحمن الرحيم

Dari Allah Ta'ala kita datang. KepadaNya juga kita kembali. Syukur atas segala nikmat dan rahmatNya. Sabar atas segala dugaan. Semoga kehidupan yang singkat memberi manfa'at kepada yang lain.


Camelia Memory for Adik Yang Jauh.

Been away for awhile. Alhamdulillah. Syukur. Banyak. Successfully defended the Thesis. 15 May 2018.

Remembering friends who were with me. While burning the midnight oil.

Thank you. Dear Ibu Sham 

Thank you. Dear Blu4sky

Thank you. Dear Mak Piah

Blessed be to all.

~`~

The Search. Day 3. April 3 2018. Tuesday.

Let me talk about the hotel first. 

Somehow hotel and me work well together.

Hotel provides me with the space to quieten down. No clutters. No distractions. I could think better. And dream better.

From Farm Lodge Hotel we took a taxi to Newtown House Hotel. Hayling Island. A short hop away.
And closer to our destination. I asked the taxi man. Whether he lived in the island and was familiar with the area. No unfortunately not.

'It's okay. We will manage. Inshaa Allah'. I said to myself.

Newtown House Hotel. Image: Self.


A 1795 old building turned hotel.
Camelia blooming while some others were still in buds.
The front of the hotel may look compact and solitary.
In reality the hotel has a large area that includes spacious lawn for events especially weddings. Shown below is a model of the entire hotel complex. 




It was a beautiful day. Beautiful weather. When we arrived. Took one look at the camelia.
And I fell in love.


Camelia to welcome us.

We reached early. About 12.00 noon. Check-in was at 2:00 PM.
 It was kind of the reception to check us in early.

We had a family room. A beautiful comfy room. On the first floor overlooking the spacious lawn. All the three of us together.

Alhamdulillah. 

We discussed our next step. We decided to take a short nap, do our solat, and get a taxi to our Adik's address.

I was worried that Adik may no longer be at the address. 
But it was better to know than not knowing. So let's go and pay her a visit. I said to my sister HR and niece HZ.

~`~

By 5:00 PM we did our solat. Booked a taxi. And was ready to go. We were apprehensive. We made doa. I asked for Husband's doa.

As usual I was the quieter among us. I couldn't seem to express my thoughts and feelings verbally. I worry that I should not express my worry to them. I wanted us to be positive at all times. 
Always trusting Allah Ta'ala to help us.

The taxi arrived. And we moved.

~`~

I told our taxi man the address. All set. We moved on. 

The island was charming. Away from the beach. Farms abound. Old English houses. Narrow roads. Simultaneously rural and touristy.

I have checked on Google the location of the address. And slowly guided the Driver along the landmarks.

The houses were named. They had individual names. But no house number. So we asked our Driver to drive slowly so that we could read the house name on both the sides since we were not sure from which direction we were approaching. 

~`~

And then. We found it! The address. Hoping that it was also her house.
 Alhamdulillah.

The gate was open. To a spacious driveway. Our taxi entered. And I alighted.

I went to the front door. Gave the doorbell a push. Once. Pause. Twice. Pause. Three times. No answer.

My sister joined me. We went to the back. Gave the back door a knock. Again. Then again. No answer.

No one seemed to be in.

There was a large garage next to the driveway. Our thoughts were that their cars could be inside the garage.

Our taxi had another assignment and could not wait. Although we would have liked to return to the hotel with the same taxi.

We had explained to him our reason for being there. He wished us the best. He seemed to understand. For he was a stranger himself to the country. Coming all the way from Romania. To earn his living, driving taxi.

~`~

As the taxi moved away. We also moved out of the driveway, crossed the road and stood by the roadside thinking what to do next.

We did not want to be lingering by the house. Our appearance was certainly not local. And I would not want any unfortunate matters arising from our presence in the area.

London was currently on the news for 'hassling Muslims'. Some deaths had been mentioned. That was the reason our Muslim Taxi Drivers had been cautioning us about moving about in public.

With hijab on.

But as always. I trust that Allah Ta'ala will protect us. 
We just have to be careful and not to cause suspicious eyes who were watching us, I was pretty sure, from neighbouring windows, to worry.

My sister and my niece were very much into photo taking. And I had to stop them from doing it openly. Sometimes it was hard for them to understand my caution.

~`~

Standing and getting chilled. I said to my sister. Let me go and enquire from this front neighbour. They might be able to help us.

I left them both by the roadside. And walked gently. It's a long way to the front door. A long driveway. A handsome Mercedes parked along it. Another, less handsome I presume, because I couldn't remember what was it, was parked closer to the house.

 I could sense that I was being watched from the large living room window.

I reached the door. Gave a knock. No doorbell. Only a door knocker. Once. Twice. Thrice.
And waited.

Image: Google.

And then it opened. Alhamdulillah, said my heart.

And a senior gentleman appeared, with countenance quite official and professional. I apologised for disturbing him and introduced myself. I explained that I was looking for ..... (Adik and Husband) and was wondering whether they did indeed live in the house across the road. Yes indeed they were.
  He confirmed.

But they didn't appear to be home. I said. Yes, their cars were normally parked out and they appeared to be away since the past few days. The Gentleman explained. Oh okay thank you very much. I said. Not knowing what else to say. I bid goodbye. I had politely enquired whether he had any mobile contact to Adik or her Husband. To which he regretted to say none.

~`~

I went back to my Sister and Niece and informed them about the neighbour's confirmation, that we were indeed at the correct location.

We decided to go back to the hotel,  to return the next day. Suddenly I thought of leaving a small note of our presence through the neighbour. It would be for Adik to know that we were around and good for the neighbour who was seemingly wary of our intention.

I tore out the centre page from my small 'to do' notebook and wrote a short message. Carefully measuring my words against the apprehension of rejection. Nothing but our love and affection. And that we were presently at the hotel. And waiting. And our telephone numbers.

It was an open note. So that the neighbour could emphatise with us. And deliver the message to Adik or her Husband.

~`~

Slowly. I walked back to the Neighbour. And again. I knocked. I was feeling bad. For disturbing them the second time. 

He opened to my profuse apology. And requested him to pass on my small note to Adik or her Husband. I thanked him quickly and bid goodbye.

I walked quickly to my Sister and Niece and said to them let's move away from there. I did not want anyone to be bothered by us lingering around.

We walked away and reached a church nearby. Called a taxi to pick us up from its driveway.

A most helpful landmark.

~`~

As we settled back in the hotel we thanked Allah Ta'ala for this day. We finally found the address. I did sujud syukur.

Still in my heart I wondered whether we could meet our Adik.
Only Allah Ta'ala could calm my sad heart. 
Trusting Him to lead us to her. 

I informed my Husband. Our Mother. Of our progress. And sought their doa. 

A lot of doa.

That Adik might came over to visit us in the Hotel.


Camelia and Me. Penuh Syukur.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your thoughts ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...